Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Captive Audience/Some Answered Questions



1. If you don't know Spanish, how did you feel about the non-translated parts of the piece at the start?  Did they enhance the piece, or were they distracting?

I personally didn’t mind the Spanish one bit. I don’t speak (much) Spanish, but I don’t think it would have mattered either way thanks to the translations. It added to the feel of the piece. I consider it similar to the background street noises and sound effects for those who cannot understand the specific words.

2. Do Viviana's story and the reporter's story work well together?  Would you consider this one narrative or two different narratives?

I think the two personal stories obviously work well together. In many ways, they are two sides of the same coin, two possible outcomes of a shared and tragic outset. I think we may simply be arguing semantics, but I would contend that the two stories are individual stories that are woven into one, cohesive narrative by the reporter.

3. The reporter leaves Viviana's story unresolved in this segment.  Is that okay with you?

It’s frustrating and hard not to hear the end of Viviana’s story, but I have to imagine that the decision to leave the tale unresolved was very intentional. The reality is that Viviana’s trials (or those of anyone related to a kidnapping victim) may well be unresolved in reality. Be leaving us hanging, the reporters of this story manage to capture and express a sad truth about the stories they are trying to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment