Sunday, May 27, 2012

The “Brewing” Process


I had a lot of fun reporting for this piece. I went into the process with no real sense of direction. All I knew was that I knew a lot of passionate people that loved to make their own beer. Well, I got lucky and those passionate people provided me with great interviews that led me in the direction of (I think) a pretty cool narrative.

After interviewing a handful of home brewers, two themes seemed to emerge. First, the students of this school sense a connection to alumni (and not just Mr. Bell) who have gone on to make waves in the micro-brewing industry. Second, everyone I talked to tied their passion for home-brewing to their cross-cultural experiences abroad. As a result, my piece, which is intended for the index, took up these two threads as driving topics. It seems that home-brewing is, to some, a truly a cross-cultural practice.

Interestingly, the home-brewers I spoke with all referred to their craft in creative and artistic terms.

“That’s the fun thing; being creative and taking [beer] styles in a different direction, taking them further, and altering them.” - Ben Dueweke


Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment